Finding the right mobile phone insurance is so important. Your mobile phone navigates, entertains and educates you. It connects you to everything you need and everyone you love. They’re are, however, expensive and delicate pieces of technology. They need protecting, which sometimes only becomes clear when it’s too late.
When you buy a mobile phone, you will usually receive an extra insurance offer from your phone service provider. While this may feel convenient, it’s important to take a careful, in depth look at the insurance cover on offer. Often network insurance does not offer you the best value or the best cover.
Many off-the-shelf phone insurance offerings hide exclusions deep in the small print. They often highlight only the positives during the up-sell. We don’t believe this is fair and want to change the industry to offer clear cover that is useful and great value.
What Does Mobile Insurance Cover?
Mobile phone insurance protects your smartphone or mobile from a range of risks. If you drop it in a puddle, crack the screen, or have it stolen or lose it on a night out. Without insurance, these small, but common occurrences can be expensive to fix, for both your wallet and your social life.
Smartphones are expensive and its easy to get locked into long-term contracts for up to two or three years. If things go wrong and you’re caught without mobile insurance, you can find yourself paying for a device that no longer works.
If you understand the potential pitfalls, risks and costs of different types of insurance, you will empower yourself to make the right decision about who to buy your insurance cover from. How do you do this?
Getting the Best Insurance
Good mobile phone insurance gives you the benefit of swift replacement if your phone gets lost, stolen or damaged. This is probably the most important factor to look for in your mobile insurance. With most other issues you can at least use your phone. The better the insurance the quicker you’ll be mobile again. You should look for 24 or 48 hour courier replacement. No one wants to be without their phone for longer than that.
In order to find the best mobile insurance for you its important to think about your previous phone history and needs. For example, if you find that your phone has suffered water damage in the past then look for cover that include that. If you are prone to leaving your phone in public or forgetting where you last saw it then loss should be a key factor.
We strive to cut through the jargon of other insurance providers. In order to build a great insurance policy its important to be aware of loop holes insurers use to avoid paying out. If you are comparing phone insurance policies, it’s worth taking note of how the insurer addresses:
- Excesses on accidental damage cover
- Unauthorised phone calls, downloads and malware
- Protection while traveling overseas
- Coverage of paid for content such as games, music, and paid apps
- Liquid damage
- Theft at home and abroad
Putting the Power at Your Fingertips
We believe that the best way to protect yourself, your mobile and your wallet is to have a full understanding of cover. To find the right deal make sure to:
- Arm yourself with knowledge so that you can make the right decision for your specific, individual needs.
- Never accept the policy offered up immediately by the company you are purchasing the mobile phone from as its often not the best deal.
- Look at how the policy deals with theft without force
- Always remember to find out what the cover is for liquid damage – putting your phone in a bowl full of rice won’t always cut it!
Beware Insurance Jargon & Loopholes
We want to empower our customers with clear policies which fit their needs. Not all insurers value transparency and clarity like us though. Knowing exactly what your phone insurance protects will save you a lot of hassle and heartache in the long run. Lots of network providers have clauses that exclude compensation if they deem your actions as ‘careless’ or ‘negligent.’ The means your cover may not be valid.
Some common loopholes that might catch you out include:
- Theft without force, or unattended theft – in other words, if you leave your phone on the table when you go to the bathroom and it’s gone when you get back – your insurance policy may not cover the theft.
- Some insurers may impose a short window within which you have to report your phone as lost, stolen or damaged. Some can be anywhere from 6 to 12 hours. Especially frustrating, as your phone may be your only way of making contact with your insurance company.
- Some insurers will class leaving your phone in a taxi as negligence or carelessness.
- Many policies include clauses that will invalidate your claim if you change the SIM card or original battery.
- Dropping your phone in water or any other liquid may also be dismissed as carelessness and be excluded from your policy.
- Some policies may exclude old phones and apply age restrictions on who they cover. Watch out, young people and those under the age of 18.
Mobile Insurance Without a Law Degree
If you arm yourself with a good understanding of the levels of coverage you will be able to find a great mobile insurance policy. You shouldn’t require a law degree to do this though. We aim to make the process from purchase to claim simple, transparent and easy to understand. Allowing you to build a mobile insurance policy that’s tailored to you.
If you have any questions about our cover you can check out our policy cover page or speak to the team directly.